Katharine & Cole

Katharine & Cole

Friday, November 19, 2010

Rice?

It might be a rice allergy that Cole has. Of course, its one of the only things NOT checked off on those little boxes when he got his blood tests done last friday, and our next appointment is not until February.

Heres the deal. Rice was his third food (stopped pears kinda early because of throwing up...but i'm thinking its a sweetness/reflux issue). He showed no signs of anything bad with the rice, besides just plain not liking the stuff. Same reaction to the earth's best kind, as the brown rice super pourage kind. Doesn't like it. Let me also add, that during the time of adding rice to his diet, he had a constant runny nose, and cough. (he still has a runny nose and cough now but its not as bad as it was). So, next I started feeding him green beans and rice (earth's best kind). He had that pretty much as a staple, mixed with a little sweet potato. I started to notice, that after every time he ate he started to get stuffy. But that was it.

At some point, I introduced apples into his diet. On this day, he got a rash on his face. The next day too...so...I stopped the apples. I also stopped using the boogie wipes that I had just gotten as well, and thought its either the apples I was feeding him, or the boogie wipes on his face. I stopped both of them. Then, two days ago, without thinking, I used one on his sippy cup. He had apricots, and again, I was thinking, either apricots or boogie wipes.

Yesterday, the only foods he ate were sweet potato, and apricot. No face rash.

So, this morning, I mix his rice cereal with some prunes so he will eat it (I know that prunes are ok). He has a rash on his face. Hes really sneezy. Yes, he was kinda sneezy when he woke up today too...but...I think something is going on here.

It doesn't seem that rice is causing him a noticeable digestive issue, but this rash thing on his face is kind of alarming.

An allergy to rice, could either be a really good thing, or a really bad thing. Rice is something that I eat constantly, and is even part of an elimination diet when breast feeding...and a lot of you reading this will know, I had to stop breast feeding because he was still allergic to something in my diet. If hes ONLY allergic to rice...and nothing else...then we can figure out ways around this...just like with other foods you have to eliminate. But, if for some reason, its rice on top of everything else? Yea..we're kinda screwed.

If it is rice, and I'm just wrong about the prunes.

I wish there was a way to get him to eat the stuff without adding anything to it.

2 comments:

  1. Hang in there girl! He will probably outgrow most of this stuff (hopefully). Did they do a blood test? Those tests can detect a sensitivity to certain foods, not just a serious immediate allergy (hives, wheezing, swelling...) I hope they give Dalia a blood test as I don't think she has a serious life threatening allergy, just sensitivities that make her feel miserable!

    Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A way to get him to eat rice alone? Have you tried actual rice (boiled)? We haven't yet, were going to 3rd as well (LOL) but Zavier is just starting to get better w/ small pieces/pincher grasp so I've decided to hold off a bit longer. If we were thinking it was an issue I think I'd go ahead and spoon feed him it some way, even if he doesn't eat a lot it should be enough to figure out if its causing the reaction. Or you can just cut it out and try again later after you've sorted any other reactions he may have out. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete