Katharine & Cole

Katharine & Cole

Thursday, August 19, 2010

clothes clothes and more clothes!


Today was a day filled with shopping! (and this post is going to be filled with rambling about clothes, because its 530 in the morning!) It wasn't supposed to be. It was supposed to be a quick trip to macys. I wanted white t-shirts in the 6-9 month size. Or just some plain regular t-shirts that were not white. I'm really kind of lazy sometimes with the whole snapping of the onsie on the bottom thing...and thought it would just be easier to just have a t shirt instead. (we have had a few of them, and I love em). There were also some shirts that I have had this summer, that have a little collar, and have little shorts kind of with them. I love those because they are all in one, and if he doesn't spit up...they are really practical for the whole day if i'm in the house or out of the house. (I feel wrong taking my baby out of the house in ONLY a onsie...just because I think people would stare at me and wonder why my baby was not wearing pants or shorts....and I also feel that people would look at me funny if he was just wearing a sleeper. He doesn't like to wear pants/shorts a ton..but sure looks cute in them!).

I think I am having so much fun with this shopping though...because I get to choose everything myself. Most of my newborn and 0-3 month clothes, were given to me by my next door neighbors cousin, whos son was 4 months old when Cole was born. It was really nice of them. Without me going out and spending a ton of money on clothes, I got a little variety of each kind of thing...and got to see what worked well for me and what didn't...and what things I would never use. Cole probably wore normal socks twice. They wouldn't stay on. The hats wouldn't stay on either. I also completely fell in love with the fleece sleepers. Amazing. I had one newborn sized one and another 0-3 month one. Anyways, some of the clothes were just not my style at all. And, if they were not from the woman who gave me the clothes, they were from other family members (all of the clothes from my sister Brenda were amazing though!). Point being, that I didn't get to really pick out a wardrobe for him.
3-6 month size clothes, came brand new (still some used from the same woman), from everyone in the neighborhood and family members AFTER he was born...and they were all pretty amazing. A neighbor on the other side of the house, bought Cole a ton of little outfits (t shirts and shorts, and those onsie short sleeves with shorts things i mentioned) and they were all things I would have probably bought had i seen them in the store. I got to do some shopping too for some clothes, but admittedly, I purchased more things for him that would be 'fun' to wear...more than stuff i would just use every day. (I got him a little set with a onsie, soft pants and a matching hoodie...I love hoodies...but its summer...and I havn't had him outside on a cold night yet...I bought him two pairs of jean shorts...one pair he wears because they are soft...the other he hasn't worn once..and so on)
So, starting with the 6-9 month size of clothes, I get to really pick it all...hehe. Ok, So I'm going to get back to the whole shopping today part again!
I went to Macys, and started looking at the sales racks....for the baby tshirts I wanted. I found a colared tshirt on sale, then of course saw cute button up shirts and jeans and had to buy those in the 12 month size. I wanted to get a sleeper in the 6-9 month size, but I didn't LOVE any of the ones in that store. I found a pack of onsies, that were plain, in colors I liked, but they didn't have them in 6-9 month (so i got them in 12 month). Since we were in the mall (it was me, my mom, and Cole) I asked her if it would be ok to go into another store real quick. (we were only supposed to stop at one, because she was then supposed to meet her friend over at home depot for a very important carpet buying decision...lol). She said sure...so we went to bon ton. Their clothing selection was very limited....but they did end up having a very cute hooded sweatshirt for 40% off. As well as a white long sleeved onsie in that kind of long underwear/thermal kind of fabric. Still on my search for a white t shirt...my mom took the car around to the other side of the mall to JC Penny...as I walked over there with Cole. Found some more stuff...like a fleece sleep sack for ages 0-9 months. Awesome way to keep Cole's legs warm for the baby who doesn't like to wear pants..and kicks off blankets as a hobby. All of the sales racks were filled...with hardly anything in the 6-9 month size. Got some long sleeved white onsies for 6-9 months. After this, my mom walked over to home depot. I went on to lord and taylor. Their selection was only as big as bon-tons...but wow everything was expensive. This was the first store that had a winter jacket I liked for Cole...so I got it...and it ended up being 40% off at the check out counter. They had an amazingly cute snow suit, but the size would have been too small....maybe this is something I could find at goodwill (family friend gave Cole an LL Bean tobagin/sled thing as a present for the winter...I can't wait to use this thing like crazy and don't want him to get cold!). I even stopped in gymborie...nothing. So, I went to Sears. Sears, by far, had more of what I was looked for. The onsie shirt/shorts things on a huge sale. Had some t-shirts with prints on them but they came with shorts (so i didn't buy them). They had joe boxer fleece sleepers on sale for 40% off (I swear all the cold weather stuff was 40% off today...while all the winter weather stuff was at least 60%). I got FOUR of them, in the 12 month size (can always move up in the sleeper sizes quicker...a few of his 3-6 month sleepers are a little small now).
So, after going to 6 stores and buying things in 5 of them...I had a lot of clothes. I thought to myself how strange I must have looked. I was wearing a 10 dollar dress from old navy, that I had previously tripped over since i'm short that had a rip on the bottom....and I could care less. I HATE shopping for myself. But shopping for Cole is so much fun!
I tried to line things up, with the rate he has been growing. I also have no idea when the weather gets cold up here. When I was younger I can remember being in fall clothes in september...but now I think it may stay warm up here until october.
The sad thing is though, that this isn't the first time I have bought 6/9 month clothes or 12 month clothes. I bought some a couple of weeks ago too (but not a lot).

1 comment:

  1. LOL fun! We did something similar a few days ago. BRU had a sale and we picked up a ton of the same size for Zavier... and I had a blast w/ it too for similar reasons. We didn't pick out but maybe a few of Kalila's outfits as a baby. None really until she was older than this... It was nice, but I missed doing it too. Zavier on the other hand. He's gotten a few clothes from others... but very few. Like its to the point he spent most of his days in just a diaper... not even kidding. Thankfully TX is pretty warm lol. I feel a lot better about him having stuff now.

    Oh and I don't think anyone would look at you funny for the just a onsie thing. I see babies out like that all the time. Zavier rarely goes out w/ pants or shorts... Sometimes because they're cute and we have them now lol. But sometimes (most of the time) its just too hot here. I see babies out in a diaper alone a lot too. We've only done that in public once.

    ReplyDelete