Katharine & Cole

Katharine & Cole

Monday, May 24, 2010

Sleep?

I think that the thing I miss most, is being able to sleep for a long stretch of time. I still get about 6-8 hours of sleep in a 24 hour period, so I guess I cannot call myself deprived...although it really does feel like it when you keep on getting woken up. So, by the time I finally get myself awake enough to do what I need to do...the whole rest of day until I get to sleep feels like I am playing catch up...and even more so if I leave the house!

I thought I needed to write down what takes up all of my time....lol. In the last 24 hours, 45 minutes were spent JUST washing bottles. 30 minutes giving Cole a bath. 30 minutes picking up garbage/taking out the garbage/general cleaning. 20 minutes for laundry (because the washer and dryer were full of things not mine...haha). Somewhere between 3 to 4 hours of just pumping! Every 3 hours, I pump for a half an hour (sometimes a little less if Cole wakes up when I'm pumping, and I stop to feed him instead). Every 3 hours, sometimes 4, sometimes 2...Cole eats for 15-20 minutes. We always have a diaper change, sometimes two lol. Every other time...a lot of spit up happens...and clothes get changed. Sometimes he goes right back to sleep...other times he does not (and if hes awake, I don't leave him in the room to just get other stuff done, unless I really have to). I sometimes get to have a meal...but it better be quick! Scheduling a shower is very difficult as well. It seems like as soon as I pump, feed him, change him, hang out with him a little big before he falls back asleep, get some stuff done...and then I want to relax and enjoy having nothing to do for a little bit...its time to pump again..or he wakes up to eat...lol!
It is 4:45am...and there is no point in going to sleep yet. If I do, he will wake up within the next 15 minutes...and that will be even harder to wake up then. I have to plan falling asleep..for when he falls asleep.
What is really hard about leaving the house though...is it means I forget entirely about me for one of these 'cycles'. I went for a walk with Cole today. When I got back, I was hungry and thirsty...because I had not eaten for about 8 hours. But Cole was hungry, so he takes priority. I fed him the rest of one bottle...his other bottle was dirty (we are on the 5th brand of bottle now, trying to find one that doesn't make him spit up...so i don't have a lot of them yet). I also needed to pump. So, it was feed Cole, pump, clean bottles, feed Cole again..and by that time I forgot about eating...lol.
But Cole is awake now! So time to feed my little man:)
I love being a mommy...I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world:)

1 comment:

  1. It can take awhile before you find the right bottle for your baby. Dalia is 6 months old and still spits up :) I am always covered in spit up, and it sounds like you might be, too.

    You are such a great mommy! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete