Katharine & Cole

Katharine & Cole

Saturday, May 29, 2010

you want me to what?

I know that this is my second post of the day about Cole and doctors..but what this woman said to me, just shocked me! Where to start...ok...so about three times since I have left the hospital, I have had phone calls from the hospital calling to check up on us, seeing if we had any questions, and saying to call them any time if I ever had any. So, for the first night, I called them to ask a question. I went to change his diaper around 1030pm, and it looked different....it was mucusy...brown and pink..some yellow and some green. I didn't know if he had little bits of blood in his diaper or not! So, I thought I would call and ask if this is something 'normal' (since its not black blood or anything), or, if this is just a side effect from the Mylicon drops I started him on earlier today for his gas. (and let me say...you can already tell he feels MUCH better already!!!). So, after being asked by 2 different people why I didn't call my pediatricians office first, I got to ask my question of if the Mylicon drops can change the consistancy and color of baby poop. She didn't know, and connected me to a doctor. I think she said she was in OB, but practicing in pediatrics (it is a teaching hospital after all). She asks me about the color and consistancy that his diapers HAD been....which I had assumed that during his appointment today at the doctor's office...that the little bit of change and color in them could be because I should stop eating dairy. She HEARD how gassy he was during the appointment as well, and this is why she told me that I could try these drops...she just didn't give me any instructions on how I should use them. So, when talking to this doctor over the phone at the hospital, she tells me she doesn't understand why my office would have recommended this medication...because his poopy diapers sounded like they are fine. I wasn't so worried about his diapers anyways..it was his gas..and its what it says its for on the box anyways! FOR GAS...not for the other stuff coming out of his butt...lol. She tells me, that it sounds like he is colicy, because I overfeed him...because I feed him on demand. I didn't even tell her that he was bottle fed, I just said I breast fed. She still insisted that you could OVERFEED A BREAST FED BABY. I disagree with this. I know that you can overfeed with a bottle, but I am pretty careful with that. She tells me, that babies who are fed on a schedule, are never colicy, and if i feed him on a schedule, he won't be as gassy, and he won't need the medicine. BUT, if I choose to still give him the medicine, only give it to him once a day...and not at every feeding. (The directions say you can use it as necessary..not to exceed 12 times a day).

Really now, how do you put a one month old baby on a schedule? Honestly? He wakes up and eats....and then if hes still hungry within the next two hours...you say NNOO BABY...NO FOOD FOR YOU!...yep..keep crying!...alright...now ya only got 120 minutes to go and I can feed you some more....

Insanity...

THAT, on top of being told that a one month old should be sleeping in his own room because "I don't know what noises might be waking him up because we could be hearing different things" (whatever the hell thats supposed to mean?!). So THATS my advice from doctors today? Take my one month old, feed him, don't let him stay awake for more than an hour and a half at a time (because yea..i have control over that?!)...and make him sleep in his own room. And if he doesn't follow my schedule..just ignore him? Let him keep crying? A ONE MONTH OLD?? How could you do that to your own child?? Really??

I mean, there are some things that are not IDEAL for me at the moment when it comes to how and when and where he sleeps and eats...but its ideal for HIM and I think thats what matters right now. He LOVES to fall asleep when hes resting on me on his tummy...and yes sometimes..he won't stay asleep if I try to put him down...and sometimes...that gets pretty hard when you are so tired you are about to pass out. Just like him waking up a million times a night SOME nights gets hard..when you are tired. But, if I was to follow all of these peoples advice...its seems I'm supposed to do everything for my comfort...and none for his. So what...I hear him cry..in some other room..and ignore him..because hes not on the 'schedule' for anything to happen yet.

Why can't the lactation consultants be doctors...where their only concern was if hes gaining weight, and has a certain number of diapers a day..hes FINE and no need to worry!

2 comments:

  1. Totally crazy!! These doctors better not find me, because they'd be upset that my 5 month old isn't on a schedule yet!! Yes, schedules are a necessity for older babies/toddlers. But not a 1 month old!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow... That's horrible!

    We used Mylicon w/ Kalila too and considering it for Zavier (kinda want to try another remedy, anise tea, first but haven't had a chance). We feed on demand too but noone believes that's why my kids have such problems with gas. We know better... I've been "blessed" with OAL and they end up choking when my milk comes out too fast, then gulp in air. There's things I do to help but it still happens occasionally. I'm afraid there's some food intolerance involved this time too but head in sand still. Trying to fix it other ways first.. and want to talk to our pedi before trying to figure it out too.

    Since you pump I can't see that being the issue for you... maybe the bottle you're using? Or it could be the food thing (dairy supposedly causes lots of issues. Is why my head is still in sand there, I dread cutting it out for a few weeks to test that out). Or your child could just be gassy lol. Pedi's should be looking at those things and not trying to blame it on doing the right thing. But that's back to LC's should be dr's lol.

    As for the other room thing. We co-sleep and transferred our oldest to another room early on (2 monthsish) and it backfired on us big time. If you're not comfortable with him being in another room go with your gut there. This is a sub I don't bring up with the pedi though lol. I know some are good about co-sleeping and stuff, but I have no idea how she feels and just don't want to hear it or have problems stem off of it. I like her too much, very few issues and I've seen her look up things she doesn't know and stuff.. she'll admit to being wrong. I like that lol.

    ReplyDelete