Katharine & Cole

Katharine & Cole

Thursday, June 3, 2010

sick...and broken! and wipes! and no dairy! haha

Even though pregnancy is, lets say, uncomfortable (especially that last month....and then those extra two weeks where you are PAST your due date...lol)...the great thing about it is that I went into a 'remission' of sorts from my autoimmune issues. I have a strange problem with one type of white blood cell, the eosinophils, which multiply too much and are malformed...and kind of end up attacking my body. Most likely, it is an autoimmune disease called Churg Strauss syndrome, but not definitive diagnosis has been made yet. Either way, the treatment for it is the exact same as what they were already giving me for the side effect of losing my skin in 2007...oral chemotherapy medicine. Anyways, I stopped taking this stuff in February of 2009. I was just so sick of being so tired all of the time...and my skin had been back for a while so I had forgotten how unpleasant it was. It took months for those symptoms to come full on in the first place, so I figured I had a while that I could be off of it with minimal side effects. The chronic infections I get from this kept happening while I was on the medicine anyways.
So, in July, I became pregnant with Cole. (And there is always that 'maybe' pregnancy and very early miscarraige in June). My health from then until delivery infection wise, and blood count wise...was AMAZING! Really, the only health issues I had during the pregnancy, were pregnancy related. (Gestational hypertension only starting at 39 weeks, crazy swelling starting around 34-35 weeks, anemia at around 32 weeks). Only once during my entire pregnancy was I on antibiotics, and that time I took them, I don't think I even really needed them. I was in the hospital for asthma (but that happens all the time...)...and don't even think I would have ended up there if I had the right medication at home (it was right after my move from NC, and stuff got left behind).
So, flash forward to now, I still have no idea what my blood count looks like. But this I do know. I had to take 10 days of antibiotics for an infected tooth. (My teeth have been HORRIBLE ever since taking the oral chemotherapy medicine. The same thing that effects your hair and makes it fall out, effects your teeth I am told). Really, I was surprised this didn't happen DURING the pregnancy...because they were in the same state then. And now, less than 2 weeks after taking that round of antibiotics...I am given another round for broncitis. I had forgotten how crappy you feel when you are sick...and taking care of a baby when your sick? OH MAN!
I have found that I still only have the energy to take care of one person...and that person is, of course, Cole. I really need someone to take care of ME! lol! So, I am slacking today. I'm not doing any laundry. I'm not cleaning any bottles...not until I feel a little better...or need a clean bottle...lol.

On top of this, I open up my laptop, this laptop I spent a crazy amount of money getting fixed only a few months ago, and the screen is cracked AGAIN. So, I have to wait until next wednesday to get it fixed in 24 hours (instead of dropping it off and waiting days on end). Now, I was lazy yesterday, and put it next to my bed...but I made SURE to walk over it each and every time. I didn't step on it...so I dunno! Maybe a dog snuck down here if I left the door open when I left for my WIC appointment earlier today (which was so much fun..sick...urg).

I also decided today, to buy in bulk...lol. When I left the hospital a month ago, they send you home with some pampers, and some of the wipes you use in the hospital. The wipes are an off brand I have not seen in any stores...and I like the smell of them (aloe). The other brands I have bought, in the huggies, and even the 'unscented' pampers...smell like cleaning fluid to me. It was also quite expensive to buy them in the stores...so I thought I would just buy some cases of the ones I liked online. I will be getting about 2000 wipes total in the mail at some point in the next week...and i'm interested to see exactly how long they are going to last for! It will also be great to not have to worry about wipes for a while. I would love to do this with the diapers too...but hes growing so fast...and I have no idea how long he will be in each size. He was in the newborn size because stage 1 was too big, until he was about 10 1/2 pounds. Then it seemed it was overnight that they just didn't fit anymore.

It has also been about 5 days now with no dairy. Wow its hard though. Dairy seems to be in everything...even a lot of bread products, or crackers even. I seem to be living off of peanut butter and jelly lol. I love cheese...so I got some vegan soy cheese that I have yet to try. I'm going to start eating some more tofu again too, and I'm eating soy yogurt for Cole's thrush (I love silk soy milk (chocolate! lol)...but I really don't much enjoy the silk brand soy yogurt...I'm just eating it as medicine). The only other soy yogurt I found at the store, said it had its active cultures from dairy...that didn't make much sense to me! Why bother making your yogurt out of soy milk...if you are just gonna go ahead and add dairy to it anyways? And name your brand of yogurt with the word soy in it? lol!

That is it for now:) Rants over! lol

No comments:

Post a Comment