Katharine & Cole

Katharine & Cole

Thursday, July 8, 2010

mini meltdown day

So..there was the car accident on Friday...then Cole not doing so well with the infant Neocate, and stopping it on Saturday. So, of course, when I took him off of it, I had to give him something to eat! I pulled out some frozen breast milk (the most recent, hoping it had the least amount of whatever he would be allergic to), and promptly stopped all of my medicine, so I could give him some fresh stuff, which would have even LESS allergens in it since I still haven't eaten any dairy or soy.

Oh, the joys of baby poop.

The problems began with breastfed, green poop, with dark mucus, and some blood. So, the switch to formula caused what can be considered normal looking (sometimes just green liquid though...not good)...BUT NOT normal smelling (like ammonia or something) that was giving him this HORRIBLE HORRIBLE rash (along with the urine). So, when I recently switched him back to breast milk again, it changed to a good color (yellow/brown) but...was ONLY mucus. I'm sitting around again thinking...whhattt is he allergic to poor baby....what can I feed my baby to make him ok? He also started to get some painful gas again. (But now I'm also wondering, per a fellow cafemomer's blog, if it had to do with the vaccines he got on friday??)

So, on Tuesday (because of the long weekend) when I called the pediatric GI office, and told them that I took him off of the Infant Neocate, and what happened when I switched back, they said they were going to send me Neocate Junior. (Normally, for children over the age of one). I was kinda worried about that just in general, but didn't really feel like there was any other option...I mean...allergic to the hypoallergenic formula? Its crazy. And the Neocate Junior has NO soy. (Infant Neocate has a little soy, but not soy protein..so..don't know how that works anyways either). They said they were going to overnight it.

So, this morning, after having a diaper of straight, slimy mucus that came OUT of the diaper and onto the bed....and as I am in the process of changing my sheets...theres a knock on the door. I go and see a package there...its the formula! I open it up. Its Neocate Junior...CHOCOLATE flavored. I about died.

I called up peds GI right away...in tears. I had gotten my hopes up so quickly, and then dashed so quickly. I told them, I can't give my 2 month old something chocolate flavored. They agreed. When I kept being put on hold, I was looking at the can...the thing even expired in May.

So, I had my mini melt down. My 'what can I feed my baby so he is ok' melt down. Then drove 20 minutes to the hospital (still scared of driving) to illegally park with my flashers on...run inside, get the unflavored stuff (and drop off the chocolate per their request...even though it was expired...)...and head home.

I compare the ingredients between the two (luckily, too...the junior does not smell like rotten potatoes). I am still kinda worried about the whole junior being for toddlers part though. Heres the deal. Junior is made, to have 30 calories per ounce...as it is for children that don't get to switch over to soy milk or cows milk at around age one (and, assuming, not breast milk either) (In my limited formula knowledge, most formula is 20 calories per ounce, and for some babies, 22 calories). It also has directions, to mix it to make 20 calories an ounce, only under doctor's orders. Well, I am under doctors orders, so its what I'm doing. But, diluting it more, doesn't that mean hes getting even less vitamins that he needs? I have seen infant liquid supplements in the store...do I need those now? Or will that not only make up for the vitamin difference, but go overboard and hurt him? If I ask his normal docs office, they will have me ask the GI office...if I call the GI office, I dont know if I will be able to ask anyone but the receptionist. (why they have her go back and forth all the time instead of just connecting the call is beyond me.) But, I'm gonna figure it out.

Seriously...I thought the whole feeding baby part would be easy.

4 comments:

  1. That stinks! I'd be worried about diluting it too. And would have had the same reaction to the "chocolate" formula. I have issues with that stuff to begin with... end up going off on a rant everytime I see it in the store lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see chocolate as...a treat! desert or something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know that Neosure is 22 calories per ounce. Keylan is on that because he "refuses" to gain weight(fast metabolism, dang kid..lol) There are also vitamins(poly-vi-sol) that you can get at walmart, keylan was also on this when we brought him home from the hospital.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Luckily though, Cole does not have a weight gain issue! Hes about 14 pounds now. So he has no need to have more than 20 calories an ounce. I spoke with the pediatric dietican (sp) today, who told me that the only vitamin lacking with it being diluted to 20 instead of 30, was vitamin D. So, if I continue on this, to give him D. But, I'm having a feeling hes allergic to this one too....just not confirmed yet

    I'm confused about those vitamins like poly vi sol though! Don't all the formulas now a days already contain everything they are supposed to need vitamin wise without having to use a supplement??

    ReplyDelete