Katharine & Cole

Katharine & Cole

Friday, July 9, 2010

mini meltdown day...part 2...(arg...)

I have just been thinking...all day long...more and more about Cole's nutrition. Doing more reading, directly from the Neocate website. This Neocate Junior looks great, like something I would use for Cole, if he needed it at the correct age (they also have splash, or one + which looks more like something else I would use first maybe). I think they use the Junior a lot for children who have some really serious conditions going on, sometimes through a GI tube, and for some children with other conditions that make is so they really can't eat ANY food.

I hope Cole doesn't turn out to be like that. I think hes just a baby with a food allergy...and I just can't find it yet. I mean...hes gaining weight like no-ones business. To me, he is a perfectly healthy little boy, minus the tummy hurting, mucus and blood diaper, reflux issues.

But, today, 24 hours after starting him on the Neocate Junior, he still hadn't had a dirty diaper. He was obviously not so happy about that. He was straining for hours. During this time, I called up the doctor's office. I wanted to ask a general question.

What can you give or do for a 2 month old baby who is constipated?

I thought the question was pretty basic. I look online for things, which are helpful..but a lot of suggestions seem to be for babies over the 4 month mark or the 'started on solid foods already' mark. In one place, I saw juice or karo syrup for a baby at least 2 months old. In my ignorance...I have no idea what karo syrup is, or what it does, besides, well, help you from being constipated. I didn't want to give any juice to him, unless the doctor said it was ok. But, since the formula switch was at the GI office, they wanted me to talk to them. I didn't get a call back though, until the GI office was closed...and i dread calling that office...and relaying everything through reception. and what I REALLY REALLY REALLY wanted to know about today (and broke down about) was about his nutrition on the Neocate Junior if it was gonna work for him.

The whole, formulated for older children part...the lacking DHA ARA part...the can I or should I give him vitamins from the pharmacy part. I feel like there is NO-ONE I can ask about this part...unless...they work in family or pediatric medicine...and are sitting in front of both containers of the formula...comparing...and telling me exactly of how much of which vitamin he needs each day.

But, luckily, he went to the bathroom. 3 times since then. But, what do I find? The same thing I had seen, from my breastmilk, before ever even starting on the Infant Neocate. Dark mucus, with some blood. Not a lot...not a ton...but its there. But, hes not as gassy.

So, here it all goes. I'm not taking my medicine after this can is gone. I'm not taking the new asthma medication (its not for those with a nut allergy...i don't have one...but who knows if he does)...unless I get back to the admit to the hospital point again (which may very well happen). I'm only taking my synthroid....and whatever else I deem OK to take while breastfeeding (with consulting kellymom). I am cutting out Dairy, Eggs, Corn, Tomatoes, Eggs...ok maybe I should just say what I AM going to eat. Meat, Rice, all fruit, most veggies, dairy free/soy free bread. Hopefully, then there will be no issue. If there is...I'll cut out citrus. If there still is...I will go gluten free. If he is ok on my diet.....I am going to add in 1 thing at a time...very slowly. If my health goes down hill...I'm still going to keep trying to find a formula that he can tolerate...because I need a backup (especially after my white count came back way too high the other day).

And again, I say, I thought feeding your baby would be the easy part.


2 comments:

  1. There is no easy part about being a parent. Not one! I know how hard it is and how you must feel so overwhelmed with this food issue. Maybe he does need a gluten-free diet. Perhaps he has a tear in his intenstines and that is why there is blood in his stool.

    What about paying attention to whey in the ingredients list? I know a lot of things stem from the bovine protein (found in whey and in beef, for example).

    Maybe this will help:
    One theory about the blood in stools is that lactose malabsorption causes this. Dr. Jack Newman, a well-known Canadian pediatrician, who is extremely knowledgeable about breastfeeding has this to say, "The irritation caused by the lactose malabsorption causes the bleeding. Thus, slowing down gastric emptying often results in the lactose being better absorbed." Dr. Newman teaches a technique called "Breast Compression" to help a baby get more fat at a feeding. You can read about this as well as his other articles about breastfeeding at the following website. http://www.erols.com/cindyrn/drjack0.htm

    Call me if you need anything or want to talk: 215 284 0090

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hugs.

    I hope you find answers soon... Being a mama is rough.

    ReplyDelete